On Friday 2012-10-27 I was able to play around with the vacuum tube. Gio and I set it up to pull a vacuum and were able to get it to work just fine. Below is a video of it working. If the video is not available, it is because Google has for some reason decided that I have to have a Google+ account in order to upload new content to YouTube. Since I have no need for a Google+ account, I deleted it which, may cause the below video to not work since Google want me to have a Google+ account in order to make videos I post publicly available. If it doesn’t work, please let me know in the comments.
I did notice that there is a leak in the port that connects to the vacuum. I believe that this can be fixed with more of the white goop. I also put some vacuum grease by our workstation if someone wanted to try it out.
The next step is to connect one of the regulators to the other side of the tube to see if it will effectively draw in air into the tube when opened. The next step is to hook up the stepper motor to the regulator to see if we can control the vacuum through an Arduino script.
Danielle and Damian, if you guys could hook up the regulator and fix the leak this week, that would be great!